Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Name Is Dita - An Experiment

Hey yall! As you do know by now I am a huge fan of everything concerning the theories of gender, sex, queer, feminism and performance. And as I am very secure in the texts that surround the theories I am tempted to get the whole thing to the next level: reality.



During last Tuesdays LGBT social night we dressed up as a rainbow, and of course, I was in team red. Besides my narcicistic wish to win best dressed, yes I am a bit vain, I also made the whole eening an exciting experiment. As I dressed up, and looked more and more of a mixture of fucked up dirty drag queen and glam rock experiment, I thought about what the color red represents in the LGBT flag. Of course it represents life  but also sexuality. And, the whorry, slutty and cunty person I am, I bought a whip, with a heart shaped end, to complete my outfit for the evening. Covered in red glitter, dolled up with lip stick, eyeliner, red paint and tons of red lipstick I had a close look at my actual outfit. I wore a red shirt, burgundy red pants and my cherry red Dr. Martens boots, and yes they are the same Miley wore in the Wrecking Ball video. I actually looked like a mixture of a dominatrix and busted gender blender. AWESOME!

As you can see, Dita was everything else then shy.
And now, let me build yu a bridge to where I am commig from right now academically. My dissertation is going to be on the use of S&M i pop culture, mainly in thee different types of works. These three are "Venus in Furs" a novel by Leopold von Sacher Masoch, published in 1870, SEX by Madonna, yes I mean the 1992 published super scandalous coffe table book, and the 2012 released 5 minute short film FAME by Lady Gaga which is also a commercial for her perfume Fame. 

And to get better understanding of why Madonna put up the figure of Dita in her book sex, I thaught that for this night, my name could be Dita as well. I introduced my outfit to my friends as: "My name is Dita, I will be your mistress tonight!". Very Madonna, very erotica and due to my outfit and masquerade very much gender fuck.  Below you ca see the pictures of Ditas kisses and lipstick writings on everyone, cause "Dita is one everyone."

As a result I can say that putting on a persona and do something with it is extremely liberatig and very empowering. But at the same time I can imageine that the character in itsself is a very intimidating one.

And of course I want to give a big big big thank you to all my amazing friends who have allowed Dita to kiss, draw on and whip them. You guys seriously are amazing!

DITA IS ON EVERYONE
















No comments:

Post a Comment