Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Monday, November 4, 2013

"Music Minute" - ARTPOP - A track by track review!

Okay it has happened again: a leak! I've had this topic before and I still have to say i do not appreciate leaks and the problems they bring with them. Thing is: Lady Gaga's latest pop epos should have been released earliest on November 6th in Japan, but the album has leaked in full and high quality on November 2nd. And thing is that I could not resist and have listened to it in whole. So now I can give you a track by track review of "ARTPOP". But still I will get my digital copy and my physical copy, which I encourage you to do as well, since we should support our favorite artists. 



I have discussed the cover an promotional efforts of "ARTPOP" in very length. And by that I mean that I have discussed everything concerning "Applause", the "Applause" Music Video, made comments on why Lady Gaga is like Tinker Belle, analyzed the leaked song "Aura" and have been tweeting about the album constantly. As well I have given you some of my opinion on the legendary "ARTPOP" album cover that Lady Gaga has been releasing slowly and part by part via her fans tweets. So we can skip the usual pre-story of the album and hump directly to the songs. Oh and by the way: That one review on a certain bad gossip webside, from a certain Person calling herself a "music journalist" on her twitter actually is so painful to read that i just want to say that never a Madonna die hard fan, and I love Madonna myself, should be allowed to write a review of a Lady Gaga Album. I mean she believes that the hips surgery of Gaga in February 2013 was fake. Yeah, and so was the moonlanding! #Idiot #Fail

 

I have given you my opinion on the song before. The Studio Version might be a bit different to the leaked ´Version, but actually it is even more magical with Gaga's voice beeing  atonal to the Music at some point. Actually it is a great Album starter and gives you a hint that "ARTPOP" will be a joyride of all the gaga-esque things we love! That leaves "Aura"  with a nice 8/10 in the ranking.

Released as part of the countdown to "ARTPOP" "Venus" has gotten ist own in depth review from me. Nothing much to add to it so I am just gonna give it a nice "I love it!" and a rating of 9/10 possible points.


03 - G.U.Y.

Wow! I absolutey love the beginning of the song. I mean the intro is very electronic but still very mystical and the song does really do it for me. I mean what is not to love about the rendering of guy to "G.U.Y."? The idea of a girl under you does not mean that one is not a feminist. (Never Forget about 3rd wave feminism!) The whole song raises the qustion of power in relationships and about the power of females in love. Possibly a feminist disco sex anthem with a great electronic undervibe. Typically Gaga - a straight 9/10!

04 - Sexxx Dreams

Definitly one of my absolute favorites on "ARTPOP". It is a  mid tempo song with a twisted and naught sounding beat to it and the way she manages it to use her voice within the music and give it that robotic and electronic but still very sexy twist is just plain amazing, in my opinion. The lyrics are just absolute great and remind em of a mixture of a cheesy love Story with an affair in the middle and a great sexual romance. The song definitely lives up to its expectations and therefore gets the first 10/10 in the review of this album!



05 - Jewls'n Drugs Feat. T.I., Too Short & Twista

I love it when Gaga hits onto new territories and different muscial Genres then her usual pop, rock and electronic. And this one is her first really major venuture into hip hop and rap. Her lyrics are dark and bitchy twisted and typically hip hop and rap. But sadly I have to report that I would have liked the whole thing better with just Gaga and only one of the three doing rappers on it. Even though the beats and the electronic tunes are epic, get you to bring out your inner rapper, the song has not that much Gaga vocals to it, so it is a bit disappointing. Still a great song, but not my favorite. So that gets it a rating of 7/10.

06 - MANiCURE

Very rock, very sexy and very glam pop - you can directly feel Grace Jones and Kiss joining in. But broken down it is another typical Gaga song that will get you on your feet to dance and go up and down to it. It is all about naughtyness and rock chicks having an addiction to two things: men and manicures. But not in that silly Barbie way, but in a very independant women way. Very strong powerfull and a clear 8/10 for me!

Another song we have already heared as promotion for "ARTPOP", and also the second single due to ist huge success in the iTunes Charts. (That song has sky rocketed to the number one spot in 70 countries! And that is a new record!) A good song with great lyricas and vocals that gets me totally in the R'n'B mood. (Even though I could also get rid of R.Kelly on it, but aint nobody got time for that!) Make it an 8/10.

08 - ARTPOP

And there is the mystical title track that personally is one of my favorites. The atmosphere it spreads is a mixture of mystical rosegarden meets out of this world art show with rebirth performances. A very refreshing song that really shows how an electronic voice can be used in a high quality to actually make music less mainstream by sing a meanstream technique. Also the song really Shows what "ARTPOP" is all about: bringing things together. Another 10/10 for me!

09 -Swine

Gaga has has a feud with Perez Hilton after he allegedly stalked her. Right after her iTunes Festival Performance was called "Swine Fest" by her. Coincidence? What so ever, "Swine" is an amazingly rck and electro song that deiveres the goods everywhere. With its experimental and rough sound Gaga actually gets deep into the topic of people relation and how oneself can turn into a swine on the inside. Very good sing along song as well, ad hence a clear 9/10!

10 - Donatella


My personal favorite from "ARTPOP" is Lady Gaga's hommage to Donatella Versace. The beginning, where Gaga sings: "I am so fab! Check out: I am blonde, I'm skinny, I'm rich and I am a little bit of a bitch!", could easily become her new: "I want my whisky mouth, down over my blonde south.". The lyrics are actually so wrong sometimes that it is campy to such an extend that we have to read them ironically. The chorus gives me the shivers and the line "Walk down the runway but don't punke // its okay // you just had a salad today" gives me the big smile! A clear 10/10 for me!

11 - Fashion!

The first one where I really raise my eyebrows. I hear the will.i.am in this! And, even though I love the BEP, i am sick of will.i.am and his endeaours in music. The song is more on the slow side and sings about all things "a la mode" and fashion. But basically it is the developement of her earlier song "Fashion". Sorry Gag's but this one is just okay for me, so its just a 6/10, cause compared to the rest it seems pretty weak.

12 - Mary Jane Holland

And another favorite of mine. To get Madeon in the boat of "ARTPOP" producers was a great idea. I mean this drug inspired song is just amazing. "Russian hookers and cheap gin" is easily another remarkable and iconic lyric line that makes its way directl into my heart. And the sich and twisted beats this song has gets you to bounce your cool out and be all sexy, naughty, dirty! A definite must listen in "ARTPOP" with the guarantee of controvery! A clear 10/10, even though it really is all about weed ;).


13 - Dope

Earlier the song was presented as "I Wanna Be With you", but now changed to "Dope". But the basic message to the fans is the same since it says that Gaga is nothing wthout her fans and that she really is only half and completed by her little monsters. The first ballad on "ARTPOP" and definitely a good one. BTW: to change to "Dope" to make the Little Monsters her new must have or otherwise she'll die drug is a good shift... in my ears. A good 8/10.

14 - Gypsy

Already hyped as THE new Gaga song, I must say that I don't think so. I mean I like it and it really is a description of what Gaga is living: the live of an always wandering gysy. And this of course brings certain problems. But anyways: the song is a nice ballad at the beginnig and then turnig more and more pop and classical Gaga. A really nice song about her life and a perfect 9/10.


"ARTPOP" has been described as a night at a club, a musical journey and an experience in whole. And ehat usually comeas after such things is "Applause". A perfect album closer, since it goes iout with a big big bang! I have reviewed the song already, and you should not hesitate to read the review here. A very solid 8/10.


In summary: "ARTPOP" is a damn good album that really shows Gaga's abilities as an artist. The songs s´might not be tht chart friendly and radio playable to some points but it is more experimental then ever! With "ARTPOP" Gaga has proven to be in it for the long run and that she can combine genres, art and pop, pop and art, sex sells and feminism, self referencing and hommage and has given us a hell lot to be excited about with it. Is "ARTPOP" the best pop album since Michael Jacksons "Thriller"? Well, it sure has all the potential for it, but time has to show this. Is "ARTPOP" better than her previous albums? Hard to say, but as each Gaga album it is special. Pointwise "ARTPOP" has gained 129 out of 150 possible points which make it average at 8,6 points per song. And that is a hell of a lot and has beaten Miley Cyrus "BANGERZ" from the throne which had a song average of 8,4. So now it is up to you what you think and to Gaga, what she does with this amazing piece of music called "ARTPOP".

No comments:

Post a Comment