Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence" - The Question of Likability

Picture used under the intent of reviewing. Picture rights
remain with owner.

Lets be frankly honest: Tropico was one pretty much awesome, 30 minute long, metaphor for America, in the form of a film / Music video with super 8 optics. You know, the classical banning from paradise and redemption story. It felt like an end to the whole Born To Die thing. A worthy, and very over the top, typical Lana Del Rey, end. And Ultraviolence, as its follow up, opening her new creative endeavor, is kind of not what could have been expected from an artist of Lana's caliber. 


Sure you will have noticed by now that this album review is not an album review per se. I have attempted quite a few times to write a review about her new album with a mixed feeling of trashing it, loving it, hating her, loving her and emulating her sadness. However I found it quite difficult to review the album song by song, as my whole expectations and feelings towards her and Ultraviolence felt more of like a need for an overall comment. 

When I had a closer look at Tropico a while ago I described her as " Hollywood back in the days, and not big blockbuster L.A." (To read the whole analysis of Tropico and why Lana Del Rey is the most American thing since Coke, click right here!) And I stick with this for sure. However I start to doubt that Lana will ver be only one thing more then old Hollywood. And as well all know old Hollywood was practically doomed from the beginning. It was fake, for apart, alcoholic, drugged up, fake and depressed. The dream factory was woven from nightmarish strings. And I fear that Miss Del Rey is just that and nothing more. Kind of like a one trick pony.

But before you turn on me lat me say that the album has no song that really is not a good song, however I feel that lana has turned darker, and yes that is hard to imagine. The songs sound more chilly, more depressed and somewhat replaceable between each other. She is not able to pick up where she left and bring her best like she did on Summertime Sadness e.g. This vibes she may be giving with this LP might be James Bond like, 70's and 60's inspired, less hip hop influenced and more Curt Cobain goes pop. However I don't see a real development there. I mean I don't expect her to go all Beyonce' or whatever on us, cause that is not her, however the development she made is, for my taste too marginal. The album bares no landmarks for me as you listen trough it and nothing sticks. Maybe this is reasoned within the topics she sings about. Cause sad to say they have not changed since Born To Die: Paradise Edition.

On the other hand it seems good to know she stays true to herself and so indie. Yet again her absolutely no desire to be a pop princess thing and her low attitude now only translates into boring and to be honest, the album sometimes seems like recorded whilst still half asleep. Not to mentioned that some tracks remind me of these songs off her that are online and officially unreleased. 

And on another note, that I don't want to tickle too much, as I am not quite informed enough o speak eloquently, Lana's romanticization of death, her obsessions with club 27 and that "I don't think Feminism is an interesting concept." line don't shed her in such a good light. Okay I get it: club 27 and death re romantic topics and they are mystery covered all over, however there is a limit of overall sadness. And that feminism line. If its true or not, I don't know. However she is pretty stupid to say so, as her whole life is feminism influenced and basically funded. As without feminism she would be nowhere where she is now. 

In closure I can say that Lana's Ultraviolence still is a beautiful listen, yet a boring one in a sense. The facet of colors is not the biggest one and the variety of lyric topics is limited. Yet the whole thing is worth listening to. It is up to the listener what to make of it, but please Lana, don't be so stupid and deny feminism its interest or even its impact. Educate yourself goddammit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment