Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Friday, September 20, 2013

"Music Minute" - The Goddess of Pop is back! - "Closer To the Truth" Review

CALM DOWN GURRL! And it is so hard to stay cal when the great show-business surviver, goddess of pop, goddess of the gays and original diva Cher is returning to the biz with her new album "Close To The Truth"!


Originally "Closer To The Truth" will be released on October 4th in Germany, but Cher has tweeted a link to an amazon page where you can stream all of the songs of the standard version of the album. and it has been such an eargasm to listen. Let me tell you: this woman not only is gorgeous, kind, loving and caring but as well talented as fuck. I mean she is CHER! Lets start with the amazing album cover. Okay, we all know Cher has had some things done but who gives a fuck I mean we have other fish to fry than an individuals decisions about their ow body! She looks absolutely stunning. It seems like she can turn back time, no joke intended, because with her 67 years she looks great, sexy and eve dresses her age! Madonna could learn from her that looking good and sexy is still possible if you dress our age. And I don't want to discriminate because of age! And just look at it. She looks stunning and the idea of being closer to truth for me is represented within the cover. She looks like an antique goddess, and who but the gods know the truths of life. And I will be so frank to say that she definitely knows some truths of life, such as: love, fear and all about showbiz! But lets get to the songs, and give them a song by song analysis as such album deserves it!


#01 - Woman's World

This song just is the classical pro-women, feminism and female independence anthem and pop song. I love it. It is just a great opener. If you want a detailed analysis just look here and find out what I think in detail about this great song! I will give it a straight 9/10 points!

#02 - Take It Like A Man

And here comes what makes Cher so special. Her amazing voice mixed with a little autotune. And it sounds so good! The song is all about to stand your point/man if you want a woman's heart, to really work it out about everything. The tune is funky, fresh and fun. For me it is the furthering of Believe, well at least sound wise. This song gets a 9/10 as well on my scale!

#03 - My Love

This one gets me really in some serious mixture of 80's and 00's mood. It is just a great song for Cher's voice with big lyrics that really build up this raise your arms feeling. But I wish the song could have a little more of the bang factor. But really this is the only criticism I have. It is such a great song for everything from driving in your car, to sing along to lying in bed and listening it while cuddling. And that makes the song an 8 on the scale.

#04 - Dressed To Kill

In the beginning the song reminds me a bit of "Bang Bang", but then turns around and aligns with the other songs and males them a four-pack since they all have this modern disco thing to it. You might say that it makes it boring, but I would say that I really enjoy it, since I am not a child of the disco era. Oh, and the song is about dressing to get what you want, not only sexually, but also expressing desire of all kinds trough clothing! Another strong 8/10!

#05 - Red

Probably my album favorite!  I mean the sound of it has this modern dance pop to it, the lyrics are off the hook making all these great references to the color red: "All I see is red now // Red in my heart // Read like my blood // Read like my lips" . Love it. I mean I love red, so it is natural that I love the song! It is awesome, and gets the first 10/10 in this review!

#06 - Lovers Forever

Okay first thing I am not so madly in love with is the beginning of this song. I mean it is goo, but it could be better. I don't know what it is but... Lyric wise the song is well really great, but I am not so sure about the acoustics and the instrumentals. Well still better than many other songs, but i have to give this one a 6 1/2 out of 10. Maybe just not my tune!

#07 - I Walk Alone

Very gypsy in the beginning, but then adds that beat that makes it modern. Unfortunately I am not that much into this folklore pop stuff. But around the hook she really turns it around, and gets me to stay with the song. And the lyrics are so great! Basically it is all about the self-determination and individuality of women Cher represents. So this one gets a 7/10.

#08 - Sirens

Okay Sirens is a song that is more quiet and slow, and normally I am not a fan of such songs, but this one is another exception. Love it! Cher can really pull of such a ballad. And the line: "From the song of sirens, love can survive" has had me! How great is it that a pop star uses the analogy of the greek sirens in the right context? I imagine this video while walking in the dark in a street with lots of lanterns. The first ballad to get a 9/10 from me (Besides Fergies "Finally").

#09 - Favorite Scars

The beginning reminds me a  bit of the beginning of Natasha Bedingfields "Little Too Much". But it is definitely not a rip off. I mean its way slower. The topic of risking things in life and love, to throw one self back in the game for the better and not hide oneself is a typical Cher thing, and the song is just a great tune to sing along. And that makes an 8 out of 10 in my counter!

#10 - I HopeYou Find It

Okay that one could be a Robbie Williams tune! Seriously, you can imagine him singing this! And that doe snot discredit the song but rather raises the awesome nature of it. It is another ballad like song that expresses the wish for someone to be happy in their life. Maybe a former lover? We don't know, but this could also be a song from Cher to Chaz. I would like it to be that. Full of feeling and a straight 8/10

#11 - Lie To Me

Not so crazy about the "Wuhu" beginning, and yet it is another slow song, but that actually is okay. I mean the album is two parted. Party and ballads. The line to love from this one is "The truth is overrated!" I think it is a good song, but I would not have put it on the last spot of the CD, but lets wait for the three bonus songs on the Deluxe Edition. 7/10.

The total score of "Closer To The Truth" is (Half pints will be added off to full ones).... 90 out of 110. And that score is pretty awesome! The average song rating is around 8,2 which supports the notion that the album has not got one disappointing song. Maybe one that is not your favorite but no song that falls out of line. I would not say that "Closer To The Truth" will be defining this years second half in music, but it definitely has huge potential to become one of the most important this year! I am so excited for October 4th to come to finally claim this lil baby mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment