Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

"Music Minute" - "Dark Horse" Review

Hey there! Katy Perry has been a topic on Icon Art Marilyn some time ago, when I bitched and moaned about her single and accompanying video "Roar". Now, after fans were allowed to decide via voting, Katy has released another song from "PRISM" called "Dark Horse".


Okay, right from the beginning: It is better than "Roar", way better! BUT: The beginning sounds like some fucked up Chipmunk remix of stuff. I can't stand it, so I will always skip it. Also the fact that it is a collaboration with Juicy J. Maaah, not my business. Anyways. I like the lyrics. They seem more advanced, grown, intelligent and are up to date (See, I really don't like Roar, and will rant about it as often as possible!), even thought the way they are sung and set in place remind me of her single "E.T.". Topic wise the song is about, what a surprise, love. And, even though I am sick and tired of Katy singing about love and relationships (Cause se does that A LOT!), the metaphors she uses and the references she draws are good, and I like them. Take e.g. "Make me your Aphrodite / Make me your one and only / But don't make me your enemy". Its great that she makes an Aphrodite reference, that really lays emphasis on love, and the feeling I get out of this is way better than what I got from "I got the eye of the tiger". The tune of the song is very interesting since it has this electronic and digital vibe to it but still has that Katy bubble gum mood. And let's be honest: This song sounds as if it probably was made for twerking. I'll give Miley Cyrus two weeks until we see her twerking to that song. 

Summed up, we can say that the song sounds fresh, and not boring as "Roar". There is this R'n'B electronic vibe to it, that is new for Katy, but still the "cutsy-bubblegum" thing that is typical for Perry remains. aAd here comes another BUT: I don't now how this will play on the radio since it is a bit, how shall I say this, .. hard to listen to all the time. I mean I like it better then "Roar" but still "Dark Horse" would get "only" a 7 out of 10. (And keeping in mind that "Roar" has been a 5/10 only with good will!)

P.S.: I still find the "PRISM" album cover looks like some 15 year old hipster chick had played with her Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment