Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Liz and Dick & Why Lindsay Lohan might as well be our generations Elizabeth Taylor

Okay calm down you people out there who already start to bitch and moan about my Lindsay and Liz comment. Read first and then bitch and moan about me and tweet me @s4mlkueh! So this time "I watch it, so should you!" gets against all critics opinions.


Poster belongs to Lifetime.
I don't get these harsh and bad reviews Liz and Dick has gotten by the critics. Like Kathy Griffin I just absolutely loved the movie, and I loved Lindsay Lohan in it. Basically it is theatrical, overproduced, over pointed and dull at the same moment. It just is like our generation. Our generation is just used to such stuff. What we want is exactly that stuff: a sweet and tender story with a sad background motive that swings behind everything with an ocean of excess and lavishness surrounding it. I mean, why do you think Lana Del Rey is so successful?

What makes the movie for my generation interesting is that it comes at such a lavish beauty that still is even topped with theatrical lines. The movie and its production is basically so over the top that it is like one of these old Hollywood glamour movies, where everyone knows that it is so glamorous that it is constructed, fake and bought on money rolling all over. The best lines of the movie basically come from Elizabeth. 

When they are in the trailer oat the beginning of the movie Elizabeth and Richard fight and Elizabeth tells Richard: "I don't hate you, I loathe you!" - I mean, what is not to absolutely love about that damn line? Also when Liz is at her home in Switzerland before they marry, she just sits outside all done up and lights a smoke. She takes a sip and screams out loud: "I'm bored!" - Well! That must have been the most perfect line to express the dullness of life. I mean Hollywood can have that thing to bore the shit out of you with its fake perfectness and materialism. Our "faky" Hollywood version of Waiting for Godot. I know high jump but it kind of is! Oh and the favorite scene basically is when Liz smashes a bottle of Vodka on the wall, in one of the plenty vicious fights they have! And how I love these fights, because they show how unstable and childish they must be, well at least how we perceive them today. And the line that defines the movie and what basically sums up the crux of the movie is Liz in bed saying to Richard, when he rushes to his wife to divorce: "Hurry back! I want more! - And more seems to be what defines Liz.

Picture belongs to Lifetime.
What I absolutely love about all this is the diva-is attitude I get from all this. And that is what I like.. All the wild and unreasonable excess and the not super empathic acting of the characters. That is what we want to see. We want to see downfall and decay. And that is what Liz and Dick gives us. 

And when it comes to Lohan as our generations Liz is that we do remember Liz only as the brilliant actress in Cleopatra, the excess and wild love life and her great charity work. Do not get me wrong, I absolutely love and adore Liz, but for us she is the embodiment of old Hollywood and excess. And that what Lohan gives us. The glam life, the talent (Because she has lots of talent.) and the full excess and scandal. We get beauty and decay, talent and its fall and love and fight. And that is what we want and what we were grown up with. What Taylor is for us is a symbol. And our incarnation of that symbol is Lindsay Lohan, if you like it or not! ;) 

And the set, the jewels, the clothing and the drinking, the smoking and the juwellery. Madly in love with it. And best: Lohans voice. How can you not love that smoky voice? And really, shit to those who say i do Liz injustice with this. I don't. Wonder what women Liz has been compared to and many were not okay with it. 

basically the movie is like a huge extremely sad and happy but dull, like narcotic, suicide note we all can imagine but never want to write or read.  It is full of hot passion and love we want and desire but we really are upset from. A sad but brilliant movie, swimming in an ocean of excess. What is not to love about it. I have already watched it for the 12th time.


No comments:

Post a Comment