Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Friday, October 18, 2013

"Music Minute" - PRISM - Setting the Colors Free (?) - A Review

She has taken us by storm with a song about kissing girs and a good album that followed, then she hit us again with Teenage Dream and completed her image as the cotton candy queen of pop music. And now, as she roared for us we get to hear her musical PRISM.


Katy Perry has given fans an insight into her new album to make them listen to 90 seconds of each song early, but now the thing is released. (In Germany at least!) So let the bitchfest, oh pardon me, I meant review begin! As usual I'll make thi a song by song wlakthrough to give you all the info possible. But first the cover. I would nomminate it for ab award like: "Worst Cover in a While" or "Looks Like A 12 Year Old Did It". I Hate it! Katy, Instagram is not appropriate for an album cover! I wanna see better! But was I actuall suprised? No, not really Katy is no Madonna, no Rihanna and no Gaga!




01. Roar

I think I ranted, bitched and moaned about "Roar" enough and have already reviewed it and the accompanying video here on Icon Art Marilyn. So just check it out here and be sure that the song just got the 5/10 due to its good production. #SorryNotSorry

02. Legendary Lovers

Nice songtitle, actuay makes you expect something. But the beginning sounds like some fucked up journey to India. The song actually is kinda boring and the lovers theme really sets me asleep. There is no boom, or it to the song, allthought the lyrics are kinda good. Nice to know: Cleopatra reference in there. But the ong sound like some verkackte Indie bullshit. A nice 4/10 on the scale.

03. Birthday

The beginning, for me, is a reminder of "Teenage Dream", and actually the whole song has this "Teenage Dream" to it. Actually the song is genereic and not innovative. There is no chance that this song will make it to my list of rememberable songs. But its better than "Legedary Lovers" so imma just be nice and give it a 5/10.

04. Walking On Air

Finally a song that is more of a good one to listen to. It is funkyy and the first song Katy uses her voice well and does not make me want to turn it off immediatly. Also the ealking on air metaphor is a nice one for feeling good, even though the lyrics might not win an award. But actually the song is enjoyable to listen to. 7/10.

05. Unconditionally

Oh, another slow beginning. Well actually that does not really get me for a good start, but lets see. Oh and at the refrain she has already lost me. Anothzer generic sng that possibly could make it into the charts but shows that Perry is zero about artistic depth but rather about chart success. Not with me! 5/10 and I'm beeing nice her. PS: The songs so far sound kinda the same. 

06. Dark Horse feat. Juicy J

Have already written about it, and I have to say that this one probably will be my favorite on the whole record, and so far it is the best of the sings. And that is such a sad thing, I mean six songs into the album and I am already worried if it was worth the money to spend. But you can read the review of this ong here and I'll give it an 8/10.

07. This Is How We Do

When has Katy turned into Kesha? I mean hello! This one could be a kesha song. Sad thing about that is that it is not even a good Kesha song. It rather is lyrically OK but from the sound: Please My ears bleed. Could not even bare to listen the whole thing! 3/10, an absolute FAIL!

08. International Smile

Okay that one actually is catchy and is all about travel and how things connect people around the globe. The music is catchy and the lyrics are acceptable. This one is a keeper and worth knowing the lyrics. So I will just be a nice boy and give it a 7/10.

09. Gost

All I can say about this song is boring. Boring, boring boring. Unrelatable, generic aand horribly overproduced. I hate it! Sorry but this one is only a 3/10. And I am being nice again. Why so generic Katy? This one sound like every other song on the record!
 
10. Love Me

And this one does not make it better. Katy, find other topics then your breakup,, becaus that is sooo over! We want to hear better songs and not always the same! And that I mean lyricwise and soundwse. Because this one is eachangable as well! Andther bad song that is worth nthing in my ears. Depressing to think she is a world start and talented artists are not. A nice 4/10.

11. This Moment

The beginning really sounds interesting and different from the rest of this shitty tracklist called album. And even though the song is overly another pretty boring one that misses the boom, wow and amazing point it is 10 time sbetter than its two preceders. A 6/10.

12. Double Rainbow

Oh, and yet another shitty generic song. What a surprise. Cant even listen to it for more than 30 seocnds. Just for beeing nice im gonna give 5/10. Im so done! And "One mans trash is man's treasure.", really Katy? More generic speeches that bore the shit out of us! Get some creativty!

13. By The Grace Of God

This son is actually the only good slow song that is worth mentioning. The lyrics are emotion filled and dont sound genereic, but the song is rather depressing than uplifting. But it brightens up a bit, but the transition is horrible. But a 6/10.

Summed up all I can say about PRISM is that I can not, with good conciousness, say that you should go and purchase it. Its overproduced, underwhelming and does not live up to what Katy has actually promoted. The only thing PRISM sets free is the content of my stomach since it is so bad. So not buying the spread of colors! It only has generic points to make and the songs lack artistic depth. One can clearly see thet this album is desiged to sell and make the charts and not a statement of artistic expression, well at least not a very good one. Songs that sound exchangable and overprouced and underthought give the album a rating of 68 of 130. The average score of the songs was 5,2. I love me some Katy , but I so hope that there will be a new album fast and that she will have another style then. So far I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment