Icons are everywhere!

An icon is someone who makes an effort. Art makes an effort. Therefore art is an icon. Marilyn Monroe was and is an icon and a work of art as well. Hence Marilyn Monroe and art have a nature in common. Icon - Art - Marilyn is iconic.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

"Transformations" - Gothic Princess Realness

Hey Darlings! Its Dita here! Today it is time for the third edition of "Transformations" bringing to you Gothic Princess Realness with my lovely volunteer Laura!


This look is a very pale one. I urged to use as many black features as possible to really lay emphasis on the pale nature of the look to create a Gothic effect. The overall attitude is a mixture between aggressive beauty and glamorous confidence. Using Laura's face structures I as well tried to give elegance to such an unnatural whiteness and widened her chin optically to add depth to the face. The look exuded underground couture meets Halloween chique.


Whilst still pretty simple I this time was going for a very unnatural look that's screamed for black eyebrows and thick eye lines. After highlighting and contouring, as well as some more white as usual I as well added much red blush to get the effect of a porcelain puppet. In addition to that the blue eyeshadow adds some color, but in a rather cold way. The thick and long overdrawn eyeliner raises the eye optically and triangle ornaments add to the "subculture" attire and Gothic elegance of this look. 


And as usual I asked the volunteer to frame their impressions of themselves in a couple of words. Here is how Laura perceived her transformation:

When Dita told me that she was going to do my make-up I was excited at first but then, after some time, I gradually became more and more scared of the whole thing! If I tell you that usually I just wear eye liner and mascara on a daily basis you can probably begin to understand how daunting “At least two hours of makeup, darling!” began to sound to me! Having said this, when it really came down to it (And I was placed inside a bin bag to protect my clothes from the fallout of powder and eyeshadow!) it felt amazing. Honestly, I felt so pampered having someone spending so much time working on my face, not to mention my hair and chest! (I never thought so much time could be spent painting my chest.) So gradually, in an overall of three hours that Dita spent, she lovingly (and sometimes a little forcefully) transformed me into what she envisioned. I started to feel like somewhat of a model. So then it was done… I was finished and no one could have prepared me for what happened next. But first I'll start with how it made me feel when it was all done. At first I didn’t even recognize my face, and when answering the door to one of my closest friends they didn’t even recognize me either, so I’m sure you can again begin to understand the dramatic level to which I had been changed… and this wasn’t just in looks. It’s hard to explain to you what all this time and effort can do in your mind, the character you’re painted slowly begins to become you. So just now I start to understand people who wear so much makeup on a daily basis and I have an idea of how it changes how they behave and feel. So now let me get to the scary part of the “Transformations” project that I hadn’t even considered while being made over…. The photos!!!!! Now this is where you have to take your newly acquired character to the next level, testing every bit of your new found confidence! So I’m sure you’re not surprised that I took a quite a bit of time getting into this, but after spending some time in front of the camera, with various different props, I finial truly BECAME my new character.
 
And so you can see for yourself how big of a transformation this was here is a half and half picture. That's it for today! See you soon, Dita XOXO





No comments:

Post a Comment